Tuesday 9 February 2010

LIVE IN BRUNEI 3 - TWO HORNBILLS

Early start today. Picked up at 6.45am and driven to Panaga School which is about one and a half hours away from the Empire Hotel where I'm staying. Drove through the early morning rainforest mist - very dramatic. Got there and met with Mr Richard and had a look around the school before I got started. In Brunei they don't call teachers by their second name but by their first. So I would be called Mr Craig. A girl called Amy came out to see me and told me to look at the beautiful birds in the tree. These birds were called hornbills and were amazing things to see and made me feel like I was in the tropical house at Chester Zoo!! Another great day, lots of fun, lots of ideas, lots of energy and shouting out. I found out that staff rooms in Brunei are sometimes called Teachers' Lounges. It was so hot today that when I left the cool air-conditioned Teachers' Lounge and went into the sun, my specs steamed up - a bit like walking into my Grandad's old greenhouse!

A big thank you to everyone at Panaga for making me feel very welcome, and for Mr Richard for putting the kettle on.

This evening Fiona and Liz took us lot out to see the amazing water village - homes on stilts built in the river. We saw young lads swimming and jumping off the bridge into the water. We got a water taxi and saw the mangroves and the Sultan's amazing Palace. Imagine living in a house with over 500 rooms, you'd never finish the hoovering and you'd never find your keys!! We also saw the amazing Mosque with a dome made out of real gold - it looked fantastic, like nothing I've ever seen before.

Looking forward to three days in Jerudong International School starting tomorrow - this tour just seems to get better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment