Thursday 24 March 2011

Sun, Sea and Scarborough

I have just got back from three great days by the sea. First i was in Keyingham, which is by Withernsea by the sea and then i went to Scarborough, to Overdale Primary school. I stayed over in a B and B and got up really early because the sun was shining and i wanted to walk on the beach. It was fantastic. If only the sun shone a bit more!!! I was just listening to the waves and i got into the the rhythm of it all and i wrote....I hear the waves upon the shore, i hear this sound and nothing more, just the waves ebb and flo, in they come and out they go....which sounds like a poem written by a bloke with a big beard about 100 years ago!!! But on Scarborough beach i wrote this one...well i didn't write it, it just sort of popped up in my head....

I saw a man
a bloke like me
and he was talking
to the sea

He was standing there
having a chat
talking about this
talking about that

He looked serious
he wasn't playing
i wondered what
the waves were saying

I thought it was strange
a little bit weird
but when i looked again
he'd disappeared.....

On scabby beach i saw this bloke going out in a little tatty old fishing boat. I watched as he got further and further away on the sea until he was just a little teenyweeny dot on the horizon. I thought wow, imagine doing that everyday. All out there on the sea all on your own. I mean all i do for a living is read poems out in schools. This guy gets on his boat and takes his life in his hands and he does it everyday. But maybe being a poet is a bit like being a fisherman. We both try and catch things like fish and ideas and we both wait for a good thing to turn up. He works with the waves i work with the words. Hey c'mon lets ride this wordwave together!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment